Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A Literal Hit & Run

Sunday I ran the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront (Half) Marathon for the second time. I absolutely love this race. The course is mostly smooth with amazing views of the Toronto waterfront and downtown core. I could run this race every year for the rest of my life.

I was a little disappointed and struggled with the race. I achieved a three-minute PR but I knew I could have done better. Although the course is flat, there are slight declines along the way. Awesome, right? Not so much. On the declines I was suffering through knee pain so extreme I debated dropping out. I'm glad I pushed my way through it because on the flat and incline surfaces the pain seemed to disappear. Now, either I'm starting to suffer from IT band issues on my other leg (it mainly occurs on the left leg)... or it has to do with the fact that I got hit by a car the day before.

Whoops.

Somehow I managed to avoid most of the impact of the car by lifting myself onto the hood. I even landed on my feet! I walked around the race expo, took the dogs on a six-kilometer walk, and completed yoga without feeling any pain. Tonight I'm going to the massage therapist and I'll ask if it feels like IT band issues to her.

Surprisingly I didn't end up taking any pictures with my face before, during, or after the race, but I did take a picture of my expo finds and buys, and a picture of my post-race meal.

I eat therefore I run. I run therefore I eat. This might be my new race mantra.

What stupid things have you done before a race?

No comments:

Post a Comment