Friday, October 28, 2016

Busy Being a Big Sister

Long story short, my sister was diagnosed with appendicitis on Sunday and it's been a whirlwind of a week ever since. She went in for surgery on Monday evening and I took some time off of work this week to be with her. Yesterday I spent the bulk of my day with her, wheeling her from the hospital to her nearby apartment, helping her "take walks" up and down the hallway on her floor, heating up food, and brushing through the rat nest she created after three days in a hospital bed. I don't mind taking care of my little sister because as her big sister it's been in my nature to "mother" her (even though she's 23 and our mother is 120% around and nurturing).


Needless to say my mind has been elsewhere. Whenever my "excuses" arise (mental health, physical health, etc) I enjoy being reminded that there are so many things that are more important to me than setting some crazy running PR or losing 10 pounds.

So, here I am, spending a Thursday night with some takeout, snuggling my dog, and enjoying a show on Netflix. Tomorrow is a new opportunity to eat something better, make it to the gym, or choose water over beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment