Tuesday, October 18, 2016

The Race I Almost Didn't Run

First things first - I'm (almost) all better. I have a very slight cough that's lingering but it's really not affecting me anymore. My breathing is much better and I am sleeping through the night so this week I'm going to be back in the gym - finally!

Yesterday I ran the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Maraton race for the fourth time. The first three years I ran the half-marathon but this year I was doing the Army Race the month before so I made no plans to run STWM... until I saw the medal. I am never someone who runs a race for the medal or the t-shirt, but it was something I had to add to my collection. Instead of doing another 21.1K, my mom, sister, and I decided to run the 5K race.

I guess I've always been wrapped up in the half that I didn't realize how well executed the 5K is. First of all, the start line is actually in a different location from the half and full start lines. I guess I always assumed it somehow was set up like the other two races. The race begins at 8AM so shuttle buses line up along University Ave to take you to the start. If I hadn't stayed at my sister's place downtown I would have taken the GO Train into Exhibition Station, not far from the start line at Ontario Place.


The 5K itself is fairly flat and flat. After not having run for over three weeks due to my chest infection and cough I was definitely out of shape and almost five minutes over my average time, but the course had me feeling pretty good. It was a great alternative to the half I wouldn't have had my heart in.

Other things I like(d) about STWM:
- there were on-going shuttles to the expo from downtown
- great location; the heart of Toronto means incredible race views
- besides the food tent, there was a McCafe truck and a Liberte truck, and Volteran was giving out samples like crazy
- lots of bathrooms
- always the best spectators
- amazing selection of elite runners, Ed Whitlock broke a World Record, and J.P. Bedard is always blowing minds


The Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon is always one of my favourite races and I'm glad I registered for it.


Have you ever run a race for the medal?
What's your favourite distance to run? 

No comments:

Post a Comment