Thursday, June 25, 2015

The Furriest Training Partner

Huge news: I’ve actually been active this week!

For a while my body was physically capable of running and then between getting sick, the death of our family, and my general mood, my heart wasn’t in it. Lately I’ve been struggling with my depression and it’s been difficult to want to do much besides lie in bed and power-watch Suits.

On Monday I finally committed to a short run with some trails near my house. It was a humid, difficult run, but I took my dog and (besides the Nike run) it was the first time I felt like myself in a long time.


I usually prefer to train alone but I think I’m taking on a new, furry training partner.

I also fit in a workout yesterday before work. I went to the gym and did some cycling and leg work. I jumped into it like I hadn’t had a three/four week break and that was a huge mistake I’m paying for today. I’m so sore but mentally I feel more clear.

I thought about fitting in an early workout this morning but I think I made the right decision last night by setting a later alarm. I’m trying to take it one day at a time and not overwhelming myself. I really don’t want to send myself back into a place where I feel stressed and anxious, and with little motivation for anything. Plus, I went to volleyball this evening and running through that sand with my sore leg muscles was enough of a workout for me.


I’ve planned for a LSR this Sunday to get back into marathon training. I’ve decided to re-work my training schedule and I’m going to try to climb about 2K/week starting with 18K. I’m also going to easing back into focusing on nutrition. My food choices have definitely not been ideal lately, but the last thing I want to do is deprive myself.

It’s funny how all of the things that can lead you to be physically healthy can have a strong negative effect on you mentally if you’re not careful. It's a struggle for me, at least.


How do you bring yourself out of a slump?

No comments:

Post a Comment