Monday, June 1, 2015

Marathon Training -- Week Four/The Week That Wasn't

As soon as I got a sinus infection last Wednesday I knew I wouldn’t be completing my long run this weekend. I’ve struggled with trying to run with a sinus infection in the past and it’s never gone well for me. I decided to ditch all of my workouts and focus on feeling better.

Wednesday’s sinus infection led to a stomach flu that started Thursday evening, and that led to a cough that burned my chest that started Friday morning. I still don’t feel “right.” Since Wednesday I’ve only had one night of good sleep and it’s a struggle to feel like a functioning human being.

I don’t know when I’m going to starting working out again. Running is definitely out of the question, I’m too tired and weak for strength training, and even yoga bothers my head.

I don’t know what to do to help me sleep, but I’m focusing on what I’m eating. I’m drinking lots of clear liquids, eating fresh fruit and veggies, and skipping the added sugar and dairy. My appetite hasn't really returned so I'm trying to keep lots of small portions on hand.

I think that a big part of marathon training is not only being able to push yourself beyond your so-called limits, but knowing when not to push yourself. A year ago I wouldn’t have been disciplined enough to allow myself the time to rest and now I think this is one of the best ways to show how I have grown as a runner.


No comments:

Post a Comment