Thursday, September 4, 2014

Stairs vs. The Stair Climber

I remember last year when I was getting ready to prepare for the CN Tower Stairclimb. I was so excited to jump on the stair-climber at the gym and was amazed with myself when I had climbed for 40 minutes and felt great. I thought the event would be a breeze and my running had my legs in better shape than I thought.

These ideas were dashed the following week when I decided to join my mom in a parking garage. After only 20 minutes I thought I was going to die. Let me tell you with confidence, the machine at the gym does not come close to actually climbing stairs.


After walking the dogs and practicing yoga in the morning, my mom and I heard to the garage in the evening. With humidity reaching anywhere between 85-100% this week coupled with my high activity levels, I decided to stick with 20 minutes. 

By the time I finished I was dripping with sweat and my legs were shaky, but I felt great. I might run for 3+ hours each week but this is a great activity to shake up my exercise. 


Today my calves are a little tender but nothing extreme. I stretched out with some yoga this morning and will likely foam-roll later. 

I'm hoping to ramp up my stair training within the next few weeks -- in determined to beat my time of 23 minutes and 15 seconds from last year. 


Have you ever aced a workout in the gym only to be shocked when it didn't translate into real-life activity?


No comments:

Post a Comment