Monday, September 1, 2014

Speed Training

I'll be honest... I don't really add speed training into my routine. I have long runs and cross training, and even short runs, but speed training is something I've mostly avoided. I've decided to actually follow through with my self-made training plan and for two weeks in a row I've been working on my speed.

My plan has been 800x200 sets but today was so ridiculously hot that, by the time I had walked from my car to the track I knew it was better for me to do 600x400s.

With a one kilometre warm up, five kilometres of speed training, and a one kilometre cool down I was exhausted. My car was reading only 23 degrees but the humidity was killer.



Drenched with sweat, I finished three quarters of my litre water bottle before I stopped off at the store and mixed the last of my water with roughly a cup of Gatorade. I'm finding it hard to find a recovery electrolyte drink that agrees with  me and watered down Gatorade seems to be the only thing. 

My late afternoon recovery lunch was amazing and simple. Avocado, cucumber, tomato, and mushroom in a quick lemon/dill/Dijon mustard dressing, and a vanilla almond milk. So simple but exactly what I needed.


So far I've tried two locations for speed training: a trail through the marsh and a track behind a nearby high school. I think I like the track because I don't have to check the distance on my Garmin. 

Where do you do most of your speed training? Do you choose to skip it?


No comments:

Post a Comment