Monday, May 25, 2015

Marathon Training -- Week Three

My third long run of marathon training is done! Every week I’m running further and further and each week I can never believe that I’m accomplishing that distance. Right now I’m so over what my speed is or how I look to other runners I pass… this is all about my own feats and accomplishments, and I am so proud of myself.


I usually schedule my long runs for Sunday mornings but I had to leave my house at 9:30am to get my sister to the airport, so I tried out a Saturday morning run. I also changed up my usual paved trail along the waterfront but this week I did an out-and-back through the city so I could get more water if I needed it. I carried a few dollars with me and stopped at a convenience store around 16K.

Running through the city instead of along the quiet waterfront was surprisingly a nice change. I was out early enough that the roads were still pretty dead. The weather was sunny and cool for most of my run but the wind picked up around 19K and I struggled against it.

Instead of my typical pre-run bagel and banana I only ate the bagel and by 18K I was starving! I will not make that mistake again. I’m trying not to eat too much meat but I devoured way more turkey sausages post-run than I’m willing to admit.


I’m still focusing on running 10 minutes, walking 1 minute and it seems to be the best way for me to build up my distance. I also think having a routine helps (6AM wake up, water, banana, bagel, 7AM run) and knowing that running is not the be all, end all of training. I’m trying to eat with the focus on nourishing my body, I’m drinking almost a gallon of water a day, and I have as many strength training sessions as I do running days.

I have to admit I’m slacking on the foam rolling and stretching lately and I know if I want to stay strong and injury free I need to make it a priority.

Overall I’m really satisfied with my running and progression so far, and I can definitely see my growth as a runner.


Do you have a running route  you like to stick to? Do you have a routine to prepare for your long runs?

No comments:

Post a Comment