Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Choosing to Eat Meat Again

I've been a vegetarian for two and a half years and have loved so much of this journey. I originally became a vegetarian for health reasons. I struggled a lot with digestive issues a few years ago and cutting meat out seemed to really help. However, I still struggle with digestive issues frequently, but not to the same level.

My problem as a vegetarian is that I struggle to get enough protein. I can get enough to fulfill a regular day, but as soon as I add running into the mix I can't fuel myself with the amount that I need.

I eat lots of beans and soy, fortified foods, protein powders and bars, and I still am not hitting the mark. Starting to train for a half marathon again I'm starting to feel a huge difference in my health... a decline. Considering I have a full marathon in the second half of this year I know it's only going to get worse.

I don't take this decision lightly. I may have started to become a vegetarian for health reasons but the moral reasons are definitely sticking with me. I know what goes on in factory farming. I know the environmental impact. I know exactly what they put in animals to have huge cuts of meat. I swear, I know. And I know there are tons of athletes out there that can sustain themselves on not only a vegetarian diet, but a vegan one, but I'm just not ready to be one of them.

It's unlikely I'm going to eat meat at every meals or even everyday. I definitely believe that our society relies too much and consumes too much meat. However, a couple of days each week I'm going to be adding fish and potentially poultry into my diet and see how that feels.

If I feel better, I know I'll have to eat meat for a while. If I don't feel a change and my stomach issues get worse, I'll have to revisit my plan of action.


Question: what decisions have you struggled with lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment