Monday, February 9, 2015

Learning to be Proud of Myself


Lately I’ve come to realize that I try to make myself small. I have so many things in my life I should be proud of but when I talk about them I shrug it off like it’s unimportant.

The two biggest things I shrug off are my job and my running.

I have a tendency to say, “Oh, I’m only an administrative assistant.” OK, I know I’m likely saying this because it’s not my chosen field, but I should be proud and happy that while so many people are struggling to find work that I have a permanent, full-time position WITH benefits. So I might not be some super savvy public relations expert yet, but I’m working on it.

My reaction to running is even worse.

“Wow, a half-marathon, how far is that?”
“Oh, it was only 21 kilometers.”

“A half-marathon? That’s so far.”
“Yeah, but I’m a slow runner.”

“I did my long-run today.”
“So how far did you go?”
“Only 10K.”
"You only went 10K?" (Literally had this conversation with my mom yesterday and her sarcasm made me realize what I've been saying).

Why do I do this to myself? Why can’t I be proud of my accomplishments? Why do I have to belittle myself?

I have so many fitness goals, but I think I need to make a mental/personality goal. I need to accept compliments and enjoy incredulous comments. I need to be proud of myself and encourage a conversation. I don’t need to show off or be smug to be proud, but I should be proud nevertheless.

Do you shrug off your accomplishments or do you wear them proudly?

No comments:

Post a Comment