Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Killbear Provincial Park

This weekend my boyfriend, our dog, and I went camping at Killbear Provincial Park. Due to crazy work schedules we only stayed for one night but as someone who is fairly new to camping, sometimes one night is all I need.



The park is located in Nobel, approximately 277 kilometers North of Toronto and just outside of Parry Sound. There are 9 campgrounds and it’s really easy to reserve a spot through Ontario Parks online.


My car was the one registered to the campsite but I prefer to let Michael drive. I actually spend a lot of time being the passenger in my own car.



I ate: strawberries and smores for snacks; hot dogs for dinner; a bagel for breakfast; sandwiches for lunch. Easy peasy.


I read: half an issue of Women’s Health and started reading Open Heart, Open Mind.


I did: we took a few walks on the main campground trail and the Lighthouse Trail. We went once during the day and then returned again at sunset. Also, for the first time I played a card game with  my boyfriend. He’s super competitive so in five years we have NEVER played any sort of game together.


I slept: badly. It got super windy and cold during the night, making it hard to fall asleep. The last time I checked the clock it was 1:30AM and just after 6AM I finally got up and took Cooper on a walk.




I heard: not much. We were in a quieter, less populated section of the campground. Just birds and the wind.



I wish I had: more blankets. Seriously. Oh, and Benadryl because my seasonal allergies were out of control.

Our dog was actually fairly well-behaved and there are dog-friendly exercise/beach areas to hangout, but it’s really hard to do all of the things you want to do. Our next camping trip is at Arrowhead Park on July 9/10 and Cooper will not be coming with us. As much as I love him it will be nice to get to canoe or kayak, go swimming, and wander around without worrying about him.


On the plus side, all of the things we did do tired him out and he spent most of the drive home sleeping.


Do you like camping?

Are you a car-camper or a backwoods camper?

Do you have any tips and tricks that are essential for camping?

No comments:

Post a Comment